We all get stuck sometimes. It happens to me too. My friend and co-host of Life Simplified Radio- Ross Goldberg says “something, anything” can be enough to get you started. For me, something usually involves action.
Here are my 5 Action steps to get past overwhelm:
1. Forgive yourself. When we are stuck we must first remember part of what makes life grand, is our humanness. To err is human after all. To forgive ourselves? Divine.
2. Make a list. Get the ideas, projects, or tasks out of your head and in front of you, whatever your preference paper or on a screen. This takes the pressure off your memory and it gives your brain more room to work.
3. Start small. Something, anything works because forward motion is overcoming inertia. Now that you have a list, take one step. Do something on your list and notice how it feels to take action.
4. Build momentum. Forward motion feels good, no matter how behind we are at the start. With the benefit of endorphin hormones kicking in, it gets easier and easier to do one more thing.
5. Stay focused. With your goal in mind, keep asking yourself, “what is the next step?” It may or not be on your list. If it isn’t go ahead and add it. There is value in documenting all the steps to success besides the good feeling of checking them off the list.
This is what I use to get going and put overwhelm back on the shelf where it belongs. We all know there is more than one way to do anything. What works for you?? Share your strategies for success and I will compile a list of our collective best practices to post on our fb page.
It’s a great life, simplified.